Attention Hiring Managers - Unicorn Developers can be hard to find!
ATTENTION HIRING MANAGERS - 'Unicorn' Developers can be very hard to find!
When companies are scaling, finding the right people is critical to success.
I speak to a lot of hiring managers who are ONLY looking for developers who tick every box on their job spec...
This often leads to frustration & increased time-to-hire, as finding perfect candidates or 'Unicorns' can be a huge challenge in such a competitive market!
So, how do I suggest managers tackle this?
- First, align internally with ALL stakeholders to establish what is needed & when it's needed by.
- Next, draw up a list of true KNOCKOUT criteria that candidates MUST have in order to function effectively in the role. ☑
- Then, establish and prioritise the 'BONUS POINTS' that would give them a head start in the role. 🚀
Anything else that they can learn or pick up easily? You guessed it, probably not a knockout criteria.
This should bring the following to your hiring process:
- Clear, calculated job requirements to identify RELEVANT candidates & establish which are the best match
- Opportunity to teach bonus skills to candidates your company's way
I guess the point I'm trying to make is;
It's unlikely you'll be able to find a Unicorn, so sometimes it's easier & better to mould one!